As you may have guessed from past posts, emails, etc., I’m a huge fan of what Outdoor Outreach does for the youth of our community. I may have taken it for granted growing up in a rural environment surrounded by woods, ponds, and wildlife but now that I am older I cherish that experience and am so happy to have these things back in my life through my career and athletic endeavors. I can’t imagine where I would be without the positive impact that the outdoors have had on me. For these reasons, among others, I am honored to be able to help Outdoor Outreach put on their 2nd Annual Reach the Peak Event at Black Mountain Community Park. My favorite part of this year’s event is the addition of the Uphill and Downhill Mountain Bike Time Trials as well as the Duathlon in addition to the returning trail race, endurance race, and adventure race. There is going to be something for everyone!
It’s going to be an awesome trail festival with incredible prizes for the winners as well as for fundraisers. All trail race category winners will be outfitted with a package valued at a minimum of $250 including: an Eagle Creek Tailfeather, a Chaos Beanie, Smith Optics run-specific Sunglasses and more. Fundraisers for the event are up for even bigger and better prizes! Personally, I can’t wait.
From the Outdoor Outreach Announcement:
REGISTRATION IS OPEN for one of our favorite events of the year. San Diego non-profit, Outdoor Outreach, is hosting the 2nd Annual Reach the Peak: Trail Race & Mountain Festival this coming Saturday, November 3rd, 2012.
300 racers will hit the trails in the following race categories:
- TRAIL – a simple 4-mile “out and back” trail run with 900ft of climbing.
- ENDURANCE – running the “Trail Race” as many times as possible in three hours.
- ADVENTURE – Racers in this category will run an 8-mile navigation course with 2000 ft of climbing as they search for six check-points scattered around Black Mountain.
- JUST FOR KIDS – 1-mile loop complete with obstacle stations and games
- TWO STAGE TIME TRAIL BIKE RACE (NEW FOR 2012!!!)
- “Pedal to the Peak” Uphill Time Trial – Racers will start 30 seconds apart and cycle to the “1st finish line” located on the peak of Black Mountain.
- “Kamikaze” Downhill Time Trial – Racers will start 30 seconds apart and let gravity do the work as they race to the “2nd (and last) finish line”
- MOUNTAIN DUATHLON (NEW FOR 2012!!!) – racers will compete in both the Uphill and Downhill Bike Time Trials followed by running the “Trail Race”.
For more details CLICK HERE.
Upon completion, participants will enjoy the Mountain Festival. Think rock climbing, yoga, live music and a FREE lunch. Did we mention the beer garden and access to swag and prizes from us and other amazing sponsors?